Dr. Julia talks about how a generic approach to gamification where you're just issuing badges and awards doesn't really work. If your effort is only tied to the completion of courses and not to something that matters for your organization or learning program, you're wasting your time and won’t see much of an impact.
She shares, "The primary goal of gamification is not to give people rewards for their behavior, it's to engage them... motivating them to do something".
Here’s what was covered:
- Gamification: Definition and Goals
- Gamification Implementation Framework
- Game Design Elements
- What Impact You Can Expect
- BONUS: Gamification Scorecard!
Check out the replay here:
You can check out her very own article on gamification, 3 Mistakes You Shouldn’t Make with Gamification on the Intellum blog.
Dive further into gamification with the following resources:
- From game design elements to gamefulness: defining gamification, Deterding, S., Dixon, D., Khaled, R., & Nacke, L. (2011)
- Learning Science Weekly Issue 44: Trophies for Everyone!
- Learning Science Weekly Episode 11: Practical Applications of Gamification with Dr. Karl Kapp
- Gamification of Learning and Instruction by Karl Kapp
If you’d like to see more webinars like these, check out the Underscore series.
Underscore is a series of monthly webinars that elevates the voices of Intellum’s greatest asset, our people. Each month, our experts will share knowledge and practical advice on essential customer education topics.